Goshi Hosono, the environment minister who is also responsible with handling the ongoing nuclear crisis, said that the entire All Japan news should help during the process of nuclear waste disposal from Fukushima.
Other prefectures should provide sites for contaminated debris and soil disposal, Hosono said. This would be a way to share Fukushima’s difficult situation, according to the minister.
On August 26, the Diet passed a new law that requires the state to clean up toxic debris and soil.
Hosono has to cope with the difficult matter of finding suitable places to store debris. Last week, he announced he supports the construction of a temporary storage facility for nuclear waste in Fukushima Prefecture, but was opposed by local authorities.
The cleaning process is however moving forward, with about 80 percent of debris in the three worst-hit prefectures being already removed.
Excluding debris from dismantled houses, the rubble was removed in a 87 percent proportion in the Iwate Prefecture, 94 percent in Miyagi and 43 percent in Fukushima. The latter is being still affected by the nuclear radiation restrictions in the area of the crippled power plant.